Cable Bridge Collapses: Several people have reportedly suffered injuries after a cable bridge collapsed in Gujarat today. There were about 500 people on the bridge when it collapsed. Rescue work is on in full swing.
According to reports, as the suspension bridge collapsed in Morbi, around 100 people are still feared trapped under water.
The Morbi cable bridge was a historical structure built many years ago. After repair and renovation, the bridge was opened on October 26 on the occasion of Gujarati New Year.
Reports said, the government tender for renovation was given to Oreva Group, owned by Odhavji Patel.
A British-era bridge in Gujarat’s Morbi collapsed last evening, killing at least 141 people. Some 177 people have been rescued, and several others are still missing.
Around 500 people were on the suspension bridge when the cables supporting it snapped, sending them crashing into the river below. According to officials, the bridge can support only about 125 people.
There were many people performing Chhath puja rituals on the 150-year-old bridge located 300 kilometers from Vadodara.
As a result of the bridge snapping, people fell on top of each other. Some were seen swimming to safety while others desperately clung to the bridge’s remains.
During the past seven months, the bridge over the Machchhu River had been closed for repairs. On October 26, the Gujarati New Year, it was reopened to the public without a fitness certificate.
The renovation occurred last week. We are also shocked. We are investigating… The government takes responsibility for the tragedy,” Brijesh Merja, Gujarat’s minister for labour and employment, told IndiNews.
There have been rescue and relief operations underway in Gujarat since yesterday, according to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
According to Gujarat Home Minister Harsh Sanghavi, a criminal case has been filed and a five-member high-power committee is investigating the bridge collapse. According to him, a case has been filed against whoever is found responsible for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and intentional act causing death.
According to NDTV, the contractor who renovated the century-old bridge did not take a safety certificate before reopening it.
It took five teams of the National Disaster Response Force, or NDRF, through the night to find the missing. The Army, Navy, and Air Force also participated in the operation.
A compensation of Rs 4 lakh has been announced by the state government for the families of those who died in the accident and a compensation of Rs 50,000 for the injured. The Prime Minister announced a financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh each to the victims’ families.
Click to Know More: Fastest 1000 Runs in T20
Click to Know: Top 10 Upcoming Indian Cricket Superstars
Click to Know: ICC T20 World Cup 2022 Prize Money
Click to Know: T20 World Cup Next | T20 World Cup 2022 Schedule
Click to Know: Satta Matka: What is Satta Matka?
Click to Know: Online betting sites in India
Click to Know: Top 10 Greatest Female Batsmen of All Time